Last week, I had to create a new photo album on my profile in the JRA website, which is where I've been posting my progress. I was told that I couldn't have any more, so I deleted one and created a new one. However, obviously this is a finite resource, which gave me pause to think. Cheerfully, I came to the conclusion that I couldn't carry on posting my progress there, so would have to redirect people to this blog, instead. I say 'cheerfully', because posting to the JRA site is a slow and painful process and then I have to make the time to post here, too. And it is only too apparent to anyone following this log, that finding that time is a lot easier said than done.
There is a fair amount of relatively mindless work involved in boatbuilding. Sanding and scraping, filleting and fairing, painting and preparation all required care and concentration, but they do leave a large part of the brain disengaged to wander off. Part of the time it is thinking through the next job or series of jobs, but much of the time it ambles off thinking Deep Thoughts about Life, the Universe and Everything. Occasionally, these thoughts are at least slightly illuminating.
It is a truth universally acknowledged that women are good at 'multi-tasking'. However, what appears to be overlooked, and what is becoming painfully obvious to me as a female boatbuilder, is that there are two sides to this coin. Indeed, an unkind person might suggest that 'multi-tasking' could also be described as 'being sidetracked'. It certainly is in my case. I start each week - and each day - with the best of intentions, but somehow my plans go awry and I find myself distracted with other jobs that I am perfectly convinced are absolutely essential. Undoubtedly, it is better if most of these are done, but many of them could be postponed - indefinitely in many cases. Yes, this would cost me friendships, let people down, mean that I break promises, narrow my outlook and increase the squalor around me, but in the past when I've been building a boat, because I've been building under the supervision of a man, I've been building to his terms and conditions and did all of the above. The friends forgave us, horizons expanded again and the squalor got left behind. And the boats got built a lot more quickly.
Men on the other hand, are extraordinarily good at concentrating on one thing at a time, for extensive periods of time - years, if needs be. I wish I could get in touch with my 'inner man' and build like men do. I wish I could happily abandon everything else to concentrate on the task in hand, but I find that I can't. I have to multi-task, you see. That's what women do and it sounds so much better than being sidetracked.
Anyway, enough maundering. We have to go back to April. I do hope I'm not just wasting my time here and somebody is actually interested (I should be building my boat: see above), but there aren't going to be an overwhelming number of photos: I don't seem to have done that much! (See above) Actually, I realise I tell a lie here, because I'd forgotten all about building the tabernacle - maybe I have managed a bit more than it seems, although I was back to the mixing-glue-and-standing-by role in that one. Of which more later - in a couple of weeks, maybe. I'm going to have a catch-up today, rather than trying to get every bit of progress posted. Gives you something to look forward to!
OK. Back to 7 April:
We are now in the forecabin, where I cut a hatch out of the cabin sole, which has to be cut into two boards, fore and aft. The tabernacle is going to be situated against the bunk with its after end against the plywood floor (under the join in the plywood. I then glued the surrounding area of the sole down. This will be covered with a nice hardwood overlay and then, because I'm me, that will probably be hidden by a beautiful rug (Chinese silk for preference. Why not? A girl can dream!)
The tabernacle was completed by now and of course I was itching to try it for size and build the mast step. But before I could do that, I had to work out the height of the deck at that point because the foot of the tabernacle is tapered and has to be a very precise fit in its step. We made it a bit too long because we didn't know - to the nearest few mm - just where it would go through the deck. So the best way to find that out was to measure it against the actual deck level, but to do that I needed deck beams to tell me and to do that I had to fit the deck beams ... which I first had to make. They consist of two straight ends with a curved centre piece, part of a cylinder, identical from one beam to the next. (One of David Tyler's cunning ideas to make the build less difficult.) The obvious way to make this curve is from laminated wood, so after sawing up and planing a heap of douglas fir, to 5mm thickness, I made a jig to laminate it around.
On the first beam, however, I factored in a 'glue allowance'. Wrong. The glue made no measurable difference to the finished thickness. 6 x 5 = 30mm, finishing at 29. Good enough. No problem on beam no 1 - I simply added another laminate.
In the meantime, if someone can tell me how to get in touch with my inner male and learn how to focus on getting this job done, I should be very grateful!