My life has barely changed at all. I've had some visitors and got to know some of my neighbours in the boatyard a little better; otherwise I just carry on building my boat. Somehow I seem to have less and less spare time, which is why writing this blog has been delayed yet again. We have had some wintry weather: I gave my fan heater to Shirley - it was a waste of time here, the heat just went straight through the plastic roof and sides of the shed - so when I go and visit her I can get warm! It's also getting dark in the mornings and I have a rooted objection to rising by artificial light. I manage to get up before 7 most mornings, but was a bit late the other day, when pouring rain delayed the onset of daylight! It's all more incentive to get the boat finished, and as I'm working with numb toes and sore knuckles, I fantasise about being snug in the saloon, reading Roger Taylor or Hilary Mantel, while the logs crackle in the fire.
In the meantime, I cut wood and mix chemicals.
The rudders on the other hand, are to be painted so I sanded them down before applying the Coppercoat. These, too, finished up quite acceptable. Because of the way I took the Coppercoat up to the chines, on the hull, it was a bit difficult to decide just where to put the 'waterline'. It would have looked silly at the same level as the chine - the copper would have gone half way up the transom, so I decided instead that I would have to live with a rather weird visual effect from side on. The boat is so quirky that I expect I can get away with it, If not, I shall bring the black paint down to a more conventional waterline one day. I think I will probably learn to live with it!!
I could now start attaching the rubbing strakes, while trying not to touch the new paint, which took several days to harden off.