View my complete profile
20 October, 2019
Well, I dunno, but it does. I have but a paltry collection of photos to show you: little indeed for the hours that I've been putting in during the three weeks since last I posted. All I can say is that I've been working long days and there isn't much to show for it. Still, one day I'll get there!
29 September, 2019
It was a bit of an act of faith to go ahead with installing the foot well. Once in place, it was going to be difficult to do anything else major in the lazarette. I will have to run wires from the solar panels and possibly one for a stern light, but there is actually quite a lot of room to move about. If you are a hobbit.
It was going to be quite a business getting the foot well into place without getting epoxy everywhere. I put the sole down first, on a small saw horse and some pieces of wood. Then I used masking tape to force the sides towards each other, which made it a bit easier, but there was still a fair bit of epoxy to clear up.
I had carried out this manoeuvre several times without too much difficulty, but as I have come to expect, it was much more recalcitrant once I needed it to go into place easily. There was a lot of hitting with a mallet and bad language required to get it where I wanted.With the backrest in place, I could fit dividers for the lockers. I used 12mm ply, to help stiffen up the deck. The reason for their being so unsymmetrical is that the forward, smaller locker is there to take the tail of the sheet/halliard. The middle one is for the kedge basket and as I don't know which side it will end up, I made it the same size both sides.
Now I need to paint the lockers, finish the aftermost ones, make lids, put down teak and, probably, put some teak slats in the lockers to reduce water being trapped by gear.
08 September, 2019
And then taking them apart! The cockpit is even more a put-together-and-take-out again than most of the things I've been making. But it is slowly coming together.
The view from aft.
°, which might be a bit excessive, but will ensure that no water stands in the cockpit. There are few things more annoying than standing in the cockpit in stocking feet, only to find a pool of rainwater. I really needed something to tell me just how much of an angle it was, because with nothing else being horizontal fore and aft the whole thing is rather confusing.
25 August, 2019
Having more or less worked out what I'm doing in the cockpit and cut out all the material, I've largely spent my time coating plywood. Four coats of paint on each side (for some pieces) and with the cold weather preventing me from doing more than one coat per day: it all takes time.
|Photo: Alan Martienssen|
|Photo: Marcus Raimon|
|Photo: Alan Martienssen|
Havoc performed the role of party central,
|Photo: Graeme Kenyon|
and as bad weather made us decide to postpone the junket for a week, my shed took on its other role of JRA(NZ) Central. Alan and Gordon took advantage of the space, temporarily to park stuff, or carry out one or two little projects. I really enjoyed having their company and felt a little bereft when everyone went away again. Still, it's all an extra incentive to me to get my boat finished and get back on the water myself.
I am just about ready to assemble the various pieces, now. That should look like some progress!