- they are not centreboards; while centreboards go through the bilge, bilgeboards do not go through the centre
- they are not twin keels, because they are neither fixed nor ballasted
- for the same reason they are not bilge keels
- they are not leeboards, because they are not on the outside
of the boat.
This is the sort of job I like least. It is critical that I don't make any mistakes, but they require large, heavy pieces of wood to be machined, which are difficult to handle and wearing to move around, particularly in the recent extreme heat. I would much rather handle dinky pieces of kauri than full sheets of 12mm plywood, but the consolation is that I think I have now sawn up my final sheet of plywood. I must be making progress! I have also needed to manhandle large saligna boards, which weigh a ton and threaten to remove my finger ends whenever I put them down. The bilgeboards themselves are as tall as I am and nearly a metre wide, so that moving them around is a bit fraught. However, progress is being made, as you will see. Firstly, however, I completed the companionway, in order to keep the dust from getting inside the boat.
I loved my fold-down washboards on Fantail and decided to use them again on this boat. My first issue was getting the acrylic cut. I made a template that fit perfectly (for once) and took this along to my local Metroglass and asked that the pieces be cut out of 10mm acrylic ('Perspex'). After taking the acrylic back for the third time, I finished shaping it myself. Something I could have done without, knowing how brittle and easily scratched it is. But my patience had worn a little bit thin and so too, had that of the man at the shop. I should have gone for a looser fit, obviously.
bête noir. The easiest way to make sure I got this right was to fit the boards and hold them firmly in place. I could then add the piano hinge in situ.
That job done: back to the bilgeboards, but that will have to wait for the next time I blog!