Fitting deckbeams - for me at any rate - is slow, painstaking work. And not terribly photogenic. However, I'm quite pleased with the results.
When I came to fit the intermediate beams in the saloon/galley, I found that they seemed to be lower than the bulkheads. I thought I was going to have to use brute force to bring them up to the same level as the others once they were installed, which was a bit of a worry.
Talking of drills, I need to give a shout out to Bunnings, here. My friend, Steve, had given me on of their cheap and cheerful battery drills and I found I used it a lot. My battery screwdriver can be a bit fierce, so I used one drill as a driver and one for making holes. A week or so ago it ceased to take a charge and I took it back, largely because I thought they could dispose of it in a more responsible fashion than I can. I had no receipt, of course. To my absolute astonishment, they told me I could have another. Unfortunately, they don't make this rather natty little drill (with a built-in battery) any more, so the replacement was much more clunky. However, it was over $11 cheaper and they refunded that, too! That is definitely service above and beyond what I expected, (even if it was the ethically correct thing to do) and I feel they deserve a pat on the back. I would generally prefer to use Mitre 10 - a Kiwi-owned franchise - but this Aussie company gave me excellent service.
On which happy note, it's back to polishing the portholes.
Blue Water Medal
Books By Annie Hill
- Brazil and Beyond
- Voyaging on a Small Income
- Annie Hill
- New Zealand
28 January, 2018
14 January, 2018
Happy New Year
Our Tall Ships junket must have been the longest ever, starting well before the Tall Ships Regatta and, indeed, I believe that there are still junkies up there, sailing in company and socialising even as I write. My own effort to join in was looking to be a disaster, when the car that I share broke down the day before. A severe gale came along later in the day to give me a sleepless night, as I battened down the shed and then was kept awake by its shuddering through the night. The Friday before Tall Ships dawned blowy and wet, but I caught a bus up to Opua, persuaded my kind friend, John, to collect me from the car ferry and arrived to find that conditions had moderated sufficiently for me to get out to Zebedee, where I had been offered a berth for the night. He was the only boat I had the slightest chance of boarding, being in a more sheltered spot than most of the fleet! Conditions moderated sufficiently for us to be joined by several other boats and the mandatory pre-Tall Ships Race dinner was enjoyed by all who managed to make it.
Roger Scott took some great photos and here is one of Zebedee and Blondie storming along before the start line.
However, in due course, we were in less crowded conditions, and by watching another couple of canny boats ahead of us, I managed to avoid getting becalmed in the lee of Roberton Island. That's when we overtook Tystie. A tacking duel followed, in which we went faster and higher that she did on port, only to lose it all again on starboard. Sadly for Alan, there was a lot more sailing on starboard than on port, but we still felt that Zebedee had done really well for himself.
I had found a hole saw, the correct size for the cut-out (which struck me as a lucky break), but had also been put off by the dire warnings of the thing getting out of control while I was trying to saw the hole out. Big, heavy powerful drills can be a handful for most men and can certainly do a lot of damage in my hands. However, it had to be done, so I borrowed a more powerful battery drill than the one I own and set to. Apart from taking a long time (I used the slow setting), it was pretty painless.
And here is the foredeck, with the final coat of paint applied. Once it has cured a bit, I'll sand both it and the varnish down and apply clear finish over the lot. This makes scrapes easier to repair, if they're not too deep and effectively seals the edge where paint and varnish meet. When it all starts to look a bit scruffy, all that is required is to coat the lot with a couple of coats of clear polyurethane. When this boat is launched, I hope to keep maintenance to a minimum!
Posted by Annie Hill at 2:30 pm 1 comment:
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)