Oh lord! I can't believe how long it is since I last posted. I have been working pretty constantly on the boat, with my only real reprieve being a nice tiki tour with my old friend, Steve, during which time we pottered around parts of North Island and encountered some pretty dire weather. In spite of this we had a great time and some wonderful encounters with kiwi, parrots and other splendid natives of the country, including a number of my friends. Fortunately, Steve enjoys meeting interesting people, so I had a fine excuse to catch up friends I haven't seen for too long.
Once again, I have to apologise for the dreadful layout of the blog. I did exactly the same thing before and after each photo, but some nicely between the text and in some cases the text ended up alongside. I've no time to play with it - I have a boat to build! - so I'm afraid you'll just have to put up with it.
And then back to the grindstone. Again, I think a 'photo essay' is probably the easiest way for people to see what I've been up to. I hope all this boatbuilding isn't too tedious for those wondering what I'm up to. If you want to read the adventures of a real sailor, I suggest you look at this blog.
So back to the anchor locker: in order to complete the anchor locker,
I needed a bit of additional framing for the lid. Here I'm sawing up
some treated kahikatea I've been given by Marcus.
The locker lids and the central panel
will land on the saligna stringers shown below. No doubt people will occasionally jump down onto the
foredeck: saligna is good and strong!
With the plywood for the deck in place, I needed to work out
where the teak would be, to assess where the hinges would be. However, before
laying the teak, I had to cap the forward end of the bulwarks. It all required
a lot of thought so as to get things in the right order.
The stringers were then glued in to place.
Before proceeding any further with the foredeck, I had to finish capping the bulwark ends.
I laminated treated kahikatea into place and, because of the curve of the hull, screwed it rather than clamping. In fact the curve of the hull meant that it was quite tricky to get a clamp to hold, anyway.
After making a pattern, I cut the locker lid. I'd debated whether to
cut the hinge line parallel to the hull or the centreline. I decided the
former would give more support to the deck - thinking once more of these putative heavy people leaping all over my boat!
The previously flo-coated deck was given 2
coats of epoxy primer and 2 of custom-coloured polyurethane paint. it was surprisingly difficult to get the colour that I wanted and the guy in the shop insisted on taking me out into daylight to prove that it matched the colour I had chosen: the artificial light made it look quite different. It's a warm, light yellow, in case your computer doesn't show it correctly, either. The
epoxy undercoat is there only because of the poor covering ability of 2-pack polyurethane
paint. If it covered better, I'd just put it straight on to the WEST, but epoxy primer is a lot cheaper, so I use that first.
It occurred to me that making the scupper with the teak in place, might
damage my deck, so I did it before gluing down the plywood. The two
holes will be joined together to make a long slot.
Allowance was made for the teak overlay.
Originally I was going to fit the flat as one
piece and then cut out the hatches. One trip up the ladder with it
convinced me that there was an easier, if less elegant, way of doing it.
Framing glued in place.
Because the panelling didn't go all the way
down the bulkheads, I had to add pieces at each end of the bunk front
after the event.
The lids were cut out of the bunk and everything was flocoated.
The flat was then glued into place. Yes, the
lids are enormous: from experience this huge locker is the only one that will
take some items, for example spare oars. It's a nightmare if the opening is too small and you either have to take everything else out, or jiggle around what's already there.
1st April. The bunk flat finished, apart from a
couple of coats of varnish. There is room around the outboard edge for
the cushion to be supported, and the lid to rest against it, when I need to get underneath. It's very irritating to have to take the cushion off completely and to pu it somewhere else, each time you dive into the locker.
OK, that's the state of play as at the start of April. Yes, it's all taking a very long time, but I never thought I had a chance of building this boat in less than two years. Now I realise it's more likely to be three. But as I'm enjoying it, I don't suppose that really matters. And I do have enough money, although I shall have to pull my belt in hard once the boat is in the water. This doesn't bother me in the slightest - I can think of nothing I would enjoy more than disappearing out of sight, somewhere up a long and winding creek, far from the madding crowd and any places where I can spend my money!
Blue Water Medal
Books By Annie Hill
- Brazil and Beyond
- Voyaging on a Small Income
- Annie Hill
- New Zealand
02 April, 2017
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)