Then I realised that I might have done it an injustice. I had seen the rat, but Somebody Else was invading my space and attacking apples, carrots and potatoes. But it was when it ate the persimmons I had just bought at the market, that I realised my visitor was a possum. (These are introduced to New Zealand, predate on our defenceless native birds and trees and do untold damage. They are completely out of control, have no natural predators and number in the millions. Some of the early settlers had rocks in their heads.) Its calling cards were unmistakable. So, muttering curses, I blocked off its access and thought that was that. Well, it found some other weaknesses in my defences, so I spent a whole morning, crawling around in the corners of my living space, blocking and boarding up holes, cursing at the waste of time, the pee and poo it had left behind and the destruction of my fresh food.
This time I was entirely successful, but the possum was not at all amused and spent the night rampaging around, scratching and gnawing at my new additions and keeping me awake. Surely, I thought to myself, it now realises it is wasting its time. Apparently not because the next night it tried again.
Since I last posted, I have been entirely involved in fitting out the heads. The composting toilet has been somewhat altered and refined. I'm very pleased with how the seat and lid have turned out, in the tigerwood. I have coated
them with epoxy, as usual, and can see that the wood will look very handsome when varnished. As I'm intending to use this on my bench tops, I'm very pleased that I took the plunge and invested in it.
Tigerwood is one of these 'oily' woods that is purported to be difficult to glue. However, I glued it up as I normally do and, after cutting out the shapes, tried destructive testing on what was left. As I would have hoped, the wood broke rather than the glue, which was reassuring.
The other thing I discovered was that the design I was using for my toilet produced something that was far, far too large. So I made it narrower, which also enlarged my locker. It was too tall, as well, so I chucked out the water bottle I had been going to use. I scratched around trying to find a container such as they sell flares in, but they are never around when you need them, so I bought one via the Internet instead.
Having had to struggle with trying to work on wires at the back of switches on a number of occasions, I'm determined that my wiring is going to be both simple and accessible. The switch panels are going to be attached to a piece of plywood that will hinge down and I decided it would be worth having a counter adjacent, to be able to put things down on when working on the electrics. I want to ensure that the wires have a clean run up from the battery and that it will be easy to add more should I want to. So I cut out a fore and aft bulkhead, with room for a counter at the forward end and made a door for the switch panels.
Before I can assemble all these various bits of joinery, I need to paint them, so I can see what I will be doing for the next week or so.